View Single Post
Old
06-10-2013, 09:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Is this fairly typical for people to go months between sharpening?

I skate 4-5 times per week (not high level, I'm in D league and have only been playing a little over a year) and get them sharpened every 2-3 weeks. Otherwise I start to feel uncomfortable on my edges and I feel like I'm sliding all over the place.

Maybe I'm weird, but I came from speedskating where you sharpen your skates yourself every 1-3 times that you skate, so I'm used to having a nice sharp edge. I know a lot of the people I play with don't get their skates sharpened as often as I do, but nobody at the LHS has ever made any remarks about it being too frequent or anything.
When I did a regular sharpening (11/16"), I got them sharpened every 4-6 skates. They always felt a bit sharp at first but then after one skate I got the very edge dulled enough it felt comfortable.

For some reason, the FBV just seems to last longer. It doesn't feel quite as sharp at first but the edges still have plenty of bite until I've skated on them for 10-15 skates, if I didn't get any nicks in the edge. I also get more bite and the edges feel more predictable to me, like I know how far I can lean and when they start to bite into the ice.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote