View Single Post
06-10-2013, 11:38 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
He was expected to play as a 3rd line center and put up points. This place was going nuts slotting Eller in for 30-40 points. Gauthier sold that to them. Going into year 4, 30 pts is his highest total. I'm a big fan of Lars, so I'm not slighting him. I just think at that point in time after going on a serious cup run, trading a piece like Halak for a prospect and another guy with 0 talent wasn't the greatest move. He didn't even shop Halak. Why not?
It's not uncommon for these boards especially to vastly overrate prospects and their impact in the NHL. Halak was a big part of the playoff run but if you're going with Price as your #1 then would have little to no impact on any subsequent runs so even though it was a trade for the future it doesn't hurt the present (If you believe in Price). As for shopping him, see Habs03's posts.

Still, lets say Gauthier was looking towards the future, then he's an even bigger idiot when you look at his other moves because it completely contradicts that. Again, I'm not going to ***** too much about it since Eller is turning into a good player.
There's nothing wrong with looking at both the future and the right now. In fact it's what you should be doing. Often times it's a balance, and it's clear that Gauthier did a good job of that in this instance.

What element does he add? He can hit and plays a physical game. He also is very inconsistent and has not scored anywhere near the rate he did in Calgary. Actually, he's on a downards clip when Cammy improved when he went to Calgary.
He's bigger, more physical, is better defensively, and creates more space for his linemates. We were considered small/soft so he traded arguably our smallest/softest player for a bigger player. Cammalleri is the better player which is why we were able to get the cap space + picks/prospect, but Cammy was struggling with us because our top-6 was out of balance with too many perimeter players guys and not enough drive the net players.

To say Bourque brings more than points and Cammy does not. Cammy was not acquired to crash and bang. He was acquired to be a sniper. I will take playoff Cammy over "brings other elements" Bourque any day of the week. As for the Cap talk. It is irrelevant when you consider the Kaberle trade and the Cole contract. Gauthier had no clue what he was doing.
I never said Cammy was aquired to crash and bang, but our top-6 had too many perimeter players and not enough crash and bang guys so it makes perfect sense to trade one for the other. Because of the difference in skill we also got some picks/prospects. As great as Cammy was in the playoffs, he wass being paid 6m and would struggle to score 20 goals in the regular season. Which makes it tough to even make the playoffs.

Cole was worth every penny that year and was then turned into more assets once he started to struggle. Kaberle will not be on the team when the cap drops so is irrelevant.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote