Old
06-10-2013, 12:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
No. It would cost him money. If amnestied, he gets full contract value of $5M (spread out over 4 years) + whatever he signs for as a UFA. He would be dumb to agree to a trade.
But that assumes the only thing he cares about is getting paid. If that is the case then I think yes he would be stupid to waive. But if he likes the destination of a trade, he may waive it. That team may not have the same interest come UFA time when other teams are bidding on him and potentially driving up the price and years. Let's just say St. Louis wants him because I think that was a rumour earlier in the year. They probably don't want him for much longer than the two years he is currently under contract for. If a trade goes through, then he is in business with the Blues for two years (a place where presumably he wans to be considering he waived), while the Blues are not paying him as much if they would be signing him as a UFA. Both sides win. If he is bought out and wants to go to St. Louis, the Blues may not want to pay him as much as he wants at that point, and there will be other teams driving up the price. Financially, that makes sense for Briere. But again, if he cares about more than money, a deal could get done.

I don't know how old DB feels, but I don't think too many teams are going to be after him for more than a mid round pick, and I don't know if the Flyers would take that.