View Single Post
Old
06-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Benny Lava

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
You call it unnecessary I call it insurance.

Most of the systems I list are generalist in nature. Buy the $1000 and overclock it + a gpu upgrade down the line. If you have a 550w you are running it at the limit. Toss in a second 650 ti and with a 750w you are covered. Keep your system for 5+ years? The 750w won't degrade to the point of uselessness.
Understandable, but a higher wattage doesn't ensure you aren't getting a dud. And even with a massively overclocked CPU and GPU, the system barely breaks 400W. For a more generalist setup you're looking at 300-350W max. The only thing you won't safely be able to do with that PSU is crossfire, but XTs seem to be awful choices for crossfire anyway.

And I think degradation is being overblown here. The 550W is a SeaSonic , not some $20 PSU with crap capacitors that will be running at 50% after a couple years. Degradation honestly shouldn't even be a concern.

Btw I'm not really disagreeing with anything you're saying, I just don't see why it's necessary to spend that much on a PSU in a somewhat budget-oriented ~$950 build. The 1kW PSU in the $2k build is ridiculous too, but at that point it doesn't really matter because you're not sacrificing performance for the "safety" of more wattage.