View Single Post
Old
01-06-2004, 10:39 AM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Firstly, Smith has been put on the IR . Secondly, Jason Smith could be earning ZERO (0) next year because of an owners' lockout. In the NEW REALITY, post NHL work stoppage, he will likely be making less than he is making now. If our Captain were smart he'd negotiate a multi-year deal at a reasonal salary now.

In any event, trading him (while injured) before the trade deadline would be poor asset management and would have a disastrous effect on team morale. Those paying the freight (long time season ticket holders) would go ballistic. The purpose of hanging-on until a new CBA allows for small market teams to retain their core personnel, is to do just that--and retaining your team captain I dare say might just qualify as--core personnel!

*snip*
I appreciate your passion and you make some strong arguments...

"In the NEW REALITY, post NHL work stoppage, he will likely be making less than he is making now."

I also love your optimistic outlook on this one, but Smith will be a ufa and is having a whale of a season right now.

As far as the timing of the trade is concerned, we've all see how deadline deals have failed to positively affect the team due to the limited # of games b4 the end of the season, so if there is to be a trade it should be sooner rather than later.

Yes JS is the captain, but he's also making big bucks and is a ufa at the end of the year. Wearing the "C" was the kiss of death for a while in the most prestigious dressing room in the nhl so being captain is no gaurantee of stability.

IMO you're bang on with your disdain for the magic bullet trade theory, but this team does have some extra names kicking around that are coveted elsewhere and we also have some needs.