View Single Post
Old
06-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Zilo44

vCash: 500
That famous Bridge Contract

Now that Subban is most likely the 2013 Norris Trophy winner, I see a lot of people complaining about the bridge contract that he signed several months ago. I have to admit that I'd rather have a PK signed at 25M/5 years right now, but I have the firm belief that it is not as bad as it seems. First, PK would not have signed long term for anything under 5M. That being said, one could say that we overpay by 2,5M which is significant, but will become less of a burden as the salary cap rises by 2015.

Also, people seem to forget that Marc Bergevin is trying to implement an organizational culture among his team. He wants his player to be paid according to what that deserve and not to what they project to deserve. I guess that this is where most people do not agree with him due to the salary cap issues. However, the nuance I want to bring up is the importance of having a sane organizational culture based on solid grounds.

It was said in the past that no one could sign with the Detroit Red Wings for more money than Nicklas Lidstrom. That was the mentality among that team back then and players still wanted to play for the Wings (i.e Hossa). Thus, in order to succeed in bussiness, it's important to have values, a vision and a plan. And this is what Marc Bergevin is doing right now. No one will be paid big bucks until he proves he deserves every penny. No matter whether your name is Price, Pacioretty, Subban or Eller, you have to follow these rules you want to belong to the Montreal Canadiens. In my humble opinion, I believe that having such a culture based on merit and without double standards is worth more than 2,5M, and anyways these 3M might be saved at one point (ex: a promising player that never reaches his potential).

You mat disagree with me, but this is how I perceive the whole thing

Zilo44 is offline   Reply With Quote