Thread: Trade immenent?
View Single Post
Old
01-06-2004, 11:13 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
Why are some of you saying that Jason Smith is going to be a UFA after this season because of the new CBA? RFA's that are going to arbitration will be signed by August 15th, if I remember correctly. Smith will be signed by then and the CBA doesn't get under way until September. So are you saying that all players under contract will have their contracts revoked and then everyone will be a UFA? I highly doubt it, so I don't see why Smith would be a UFA.
smith will not be ufa at the end of this year, it won't happen till the end of next year. As an oiler fan, I realize that our team doesn't survive unless the new cba has some radical changes. In order for this to happen, a long strike is inevitable. In other words, many oiler fans are predicting / hoping that there won't be a season next year.

After that, smith will be 31 and ufa. Because there probably won't be a season next year, no other gm will be willing to trade for smith during that non-existant season therfore this trade deadline is the last realistic chance to trade smith if he can't be signed long term.

St Louis is in the same situation with Chris Pronger.