View Single Post
Old
06-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
So what if Markov's contract will expire? The goal is to have PK and Markov, or find a replacement for Markov which won't come cheap.
And what if Markov has a great year next season? Then what? We'll just let him walk?
Why? Do we have a PP QB in the AHL I don't know about?
Subban just lead the NHL in PP pts with Markov right behind at second.
Together they rallied up 49pts. The next duo for PP production is Toronto with Phaneuf and Fransen with 29pts. Heck, PK almost had as many points as those two combined (26pts).
Markov can also be pretty good in his zone when he doesn't have to carry a scrub.
So, if he can remain healthy for the most part next year again, after another summer of training, and finally getting back to playing hockey, I don't see why he wouldn't have a good-great year. If that's the case then we'll want to re-sign him.

We have a pretty good one-two punch with PK and Markov.

And people have to start naming players as if the situations were similar.
Jeff Skinner scored more than 30 goals once, in his rookie year. He never even cracked the 60pt barrier. They had no reason to go this high with him.
But you really want to take Carolina management as an example? They signed Jordan Staal to 10y for 60M, the guy never scored more than 50pts! Shall we go into the Kaberle deal? Semin? E.Staal?

Myers had a rough sophomore year. He followed it up with another disappointing season while missing almost 30 games. He gets awarded a long term deal.

Not sure how those situations resemble PK who took over the #1 Dman spot pretty much since halfway through his rookie year. The kid had been anything short of impressive and great. Sure, a few issues as with any other player, but still amazing nonetheless and there was no reason to doubt this was going to change.
Knowing his impressive leaps in progression ever since the junior days, and his work ethic both during games, in practice and off the ice, I don't see why anybody would have doubts about this guy.
So really, we're not talking about a player who's coming back from two rather disappointing seasons here..
A couple of things...

1- Why would Markov's replacement have to cost as much as he does? Subban doesn't cost as much as Markov and he's better than him! Is it remotely possible that one of Beaulieu or Ellis could surprise and step into that role, the way Subban did?

2- You're very quick at finding excuses about the players that I've mentioned but what they all had in common is that after a good start to their career, their GM skipped the bridging contract and, at the same time, removed their motivation, and they crapped to bed after. Bergevin didn't make that mistake.

I happen to think that the fact that Bergevin held his own in this deal contributed to Subban's motivation in him having a Norris Trophy worthy season and one would be hard pressed debating against that. Next year, the motivation will be even higher because he'll want to prove that this year wasn't a fluke and he'll be playing for a new contract... all of that with a cap hit of $2.875M !!! Not too stupid that Bergevin.

But as I've stated before, there are good points on both sides. I genuinely feel like the positives of the bridging contract outweigh the negative.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote