Old
06-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
A couple of things...

1- Why would Markov's replacement have to cost as much as he does? Subban doesn't cost as much as Markov and he's better than him! Is it remotely possible that one of Beaulieu or Ellis could surprise and step into that role, the way Subban did?

2- You're very quick at finding excuses about the players that I've mentioned but what they all had in common is that after a good start to their career, their GM skipped the bridging contract and, at the same time, removed their motivation, and they crapped to bed after. Bergevin didn't make that mistake.

I happen to think that the fact that Bergevin held his own in this deal contributed to Subban's motivation in him having a Norris Trophy worthy season and one would be hard pressed debating against that. Next year, the motivation will be even higher because he'll want to prove that this year wasn't a fluke and he'll be playing for a new contract... all of that with a cap hit of $2.875M !!! Not too stupid that Bergevin.

But as I've stated before, there are good points on both sides. I genuinely feel like the positives of the bridging contract outweigh the negative.
1-No, I am not relying on Ellis or Beaulieu to come in and just replace Markov, especially not on the PP. Is there a chance they'd be able to? Maybe, but I'm not counting on it. Not until they can start showing things in the NHL.
So chances are his replacement would come from outside the organization and looking at what Gonchar got signed to, I don't think it would be cheap. We are better off re-signing him.

2- Excuses? How can you compare two players but not look at their progression, production or their organization's bad habits?? What's important when making those comparisons is that those guys didn't deserve the big contract. They both just had successful rookie years, it's not the same as PK.
If you're gonna make a comparison then look at everything not just what works in your favor.

3- Of course you believe that, it's the only way anybody can support MB's decision. But when you look at PK's progression over the years dating back to juniors, then you know money doesn't drive PK. The guy just learns quickly and he's a work horse. Have you not seen PK do interviews? Or seen his off ice training? Kid gets into fights with teammates durin practice because he battles too hard. There's really no reason to think this kid would just sit back and chill out on a big contract. If he did, I wouldn't be hearing about how he wants to be the best Dman in the NHL or how he wants to be a true leader. Money doesn't put this mindset.

I guess we'll see, if all PK wanted was that big deal, then bridge or not bridge, we should see him regress when he gets it.

Last edited by Kriss E: 06-11-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote