View Single Post
Old
06-11-2013, 02:04 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
He's not completely innocent, but I wouldn't say he's out main problem and the sole reason we struggle. He has failed to make in-game adjustments on numerous occasions to teams that bring a hard 2 man forecheck. We had no answer for the Devils when they did it to us, didn't sink the forwards lower to support the defense or anything. Same thing against the Rangers for most of the past 2 years. The defense is still rather slow and not very good at breaking out the puck. It's not his fault that he's dealing with that personnel, but it's his job to take the personnel and make it work.

On the other hand, this team is not at all suited to his system. Laviolette's system calls for experienced, disciplined NHL players that stick to the system for it to work. We don't have that here. It's important to remember that when Laviolette was hired, the core of this team was Chris Pronger, Kimmo Timonen, Mike Richards, and Jeff Carter. The core is now Claude Giroux, Jakub Voracek, and an old Kimmo Timonen. I think this team needs another John Stevens-like coach. I don't want us to hire Stevens because he had even less of a system than Laviolette, but a guy that develops players and establishes them at the NHL level. Dallas Eakins probably could have been that guy. Have him for 2-3 years, then when the team's skill level is clearly better than the results they're providing(because the coach is a better developer than result producer), fire him and hire another Laviolette-like coach that can put an established team over the top. It's no coincidence that Richards and Carter had their best offensive seasons under Stevens, and haven't come close to replicating them since under Laviolette or Sutter.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote