View Single Post
Old
06-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I keep going back and forth on whether or not I would like to see Ference come back. I feel some loyalty to Ference because he has been a good Bruin, a leader, and the team has been better with him in the lineup for the most part.

But just facing the facts, the Bruins have kids who are obviously ready to play and they need to cut salary somewhere, if they re-sign Ference who goes? Krug and Hamilton have to play in the NHL next year and Bartkowski has shown he is ready as well. It is a good problem to have but they still have one D too many, someone has to go.

Since Ference will be an UFA it makes sense that he would be the odd man out, the other guys are signed, the kids are more like Ference type of defensemen, if they don't let Ference walk is the solution to trade one of the kids? Is that a smart idea?

I like Ference, he seems like a good guy, but if they re-sign him instead of letting the kids play I don't think there is any way it is going to be possible to re-sign Horton or replace him unless they clear more than just Peverley's salary. Peverley and someone else have to go to fill Horton's spot one way or another. Ference makes sense.
You don't reward loyalty when they've proven to be an expendable asset. Krug/Bart is a more than capable 6th defensman. Ference will likely cost at least twice as them, maybe more.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote