View Single Post
06-11-2013, 07:02 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
I totally disagree. I think the Espo trade was a good trade for the Rangers. If you go by individual stats the trade was a disaster but the Rangers with Ratelle,Park,Hadfield,Seiling Giacomin and Gilbert had reached a point where they were not going to win a Cup and it was time for a change. Espo bridged the gap to to the younger players like the Maloneys, Duguay, Davidson, Greschner and they reached the 1979 finals led by Espo. Ratelle and Park are great players but I don,t remember then winning any Cups with Boston. It was time for a change when that trade was made. The Middleton trade killed the Rangers and gets associated the with the Espo trade which is unfair. Espo fit more into the late 70,s Rangers than Ratelle and Park would have.
We agree to disagree. I respect your right to your opinion, but I must disagree.

You said "If you go by individual stats the trade was a disaster". The inference is there is some hidden x factor, some invisible chemistry which makes a difference. The answer is no, there was none.

The gap could just as easily have been bridged by the no less able, more talented duo of Park and Ratelle and the result statistically can be expected it was likely to be better than it was under Espo and Vadnais.

Yes, we got a shot in the arm with the Maloneys, Duguay, Davidson, Greschner, but that was irrespective of these two different pairs.

As to how much success they had in Boston afterwards, it's irrelevant. The Canadiens and then others were too strong. For both the Rangers and the Bruins in the second half of the 70s. But we would arguably, statistically, been better with Park and Ratelle.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote