View Single Post
Old
10-12-2006, 11:42 AM
westcoast habsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
I agree with you. I actually feel safer with the Dandenault-Niinimaa pairing than with the Rivet-Souray pairing. Anytime these two are on the ice, I cringe a bit inwardly. Rivet has not been that bad... its Souray that's horrible.

Is that me or we are starting to see Niinimaa more and more (PP and SH?). I saw a Rivet-Niinimaa and a Souray-Dandenault (or was it Souray-Niinimaa and Rivet-Dandenault?) pairing for a few shifts and I liked it very much.
I agree completely with the Souray-Rivet thing. Rivet has been fine this year, he's strong along the boards, in the corners and in front of the net. On the Philly goal, Rivet had to contend with two Philly players down low, Umberger and, I think Richards, while Souray went for a skate. Umberger was allowed to put the puck into an empty net. Souray has been inconsistent and for a 6-foot-four 235 pound defenceman not very noticeable for the Habs except on the PP. I think he'll improve as the season goes on, he did last year, but right now, Souray's probably our most inconsistent defencemen.

Niinimaa has been killing penalties and is getting time on the second PP unit. His work on the penalty-kill was terrific last night. He's alot stronger and agressive on the boards than I thought he would be, but he's a little slow on his decision making at times, he just hangs on to the puck too long. He and Dandy got trapped in their end for long periods of time against the Flyers especially when our 4th line was on the ice.

However, overall he's much better than advertised and is a very good third pairing defenceman. I don't see him climbing into a top four spot though.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote