View Single Post
Old
06-12-2013, 09:47 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The problem I have with going to a defensive system is that we are going to see voracek, simmonds, and hartnell come back down to earth.

And unfortunately Giroux too. With the system we play giroux can score 90 plus a year, if we do a defensive system he will struggle to get 80.
I used to think that, now I'm not so sure. Alain Vigneault is a defensive minded coach and the Sedin twins put up great numbers in his system. Ryan Kesler, a Selke caliber forward, scored 40 goals in that system. Even a scrub like Alex Burrows put up good numbers. Good players will always put up good numbers, no matter the system used.

As well, when Giroux played with Gatineau in the QMJHL, he played under one of the best defensive coaches in Benoit Groulx. I don't see a defensive system hampering any of the good players. If anything, it might just make them better all around players and even more dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I think Lavy's system has inflated our players value and if we go to a defensive system reality could really hurt.
There's definitely an inflation in run and gun hockey. I think the biggest thing though is that the system has also created some laziness amongst the forwards in that they miss defensive assignments or they're less prone to back checking and maintaining positioning. That causes a big problem with the defensemen in that they're overloaded trying to compensate for the missed defensive assignments by the forwards.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote