View Single Post
Old
06-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
Just curious as to how many times you've watched Bernier play at the junior level to come up with an assessment does not have the ":quick release and precise shot" that Mantha has? I played 140 games and about 300 practices with Bernier and I've seen him score 80+ goals live and I can tell you his release and precision were two of his biggest strengths (the others being his hockey sense, soft hands and physical strength). What stopped Bernier from being dominant at the NHL level was lack of confidence and 'swagger'.
I can't pretend I played as much with him even though we were in the same age group growing up. That said, I remember him as more of a power forward who used his sized quite effectively. Not so much one who used his shot and found the open spots like Mantha does. Going back into the archives I found only 1 "scouting report" or more of a personnal report that actually pointed he could make his release quicker.

When I watch Stamkos play, I see someone who wastes no time taking his shot. When I watch Mantha, that's what I see. However, that's not how I remember Bernier, as good as he was growing up. MY 2 cents.