View Single Post
Old
06-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Jack de la Hoya

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Wait, what? "don't know why people freak about caphits so much"...are you serious? I can't imagine why. It's not like there's this "cap" that the "caphit" counts against, and you can't go over it, and the Flyers are one of the teams perpetually at that "cap". They've mismanaged the cap repeatedly under Holmgren. I fail to see why we SHOULDN'T be worried about him screwing it up again.

I'm wary of this. Yes, it's an area they need to shore up, and Streit matches that pretty well. But, he's 35, and any deal with any sort of length potentially gets you in trouble with an injury. If it's not for too much money, ok, but 5+ and I'm not OK with the deal.

I'm also wondering what this means for the goalie situation. Brzy is gone and we're going with...Mason? Bernier? Someone else? This could be very worrisome as well.
Assuming Bryzgalov is bought out (seems likely), the I think the goalie situation plays out one of two ways:

1) Some version of the Read for Bernier deal. I don't particularly like it. I'm not sold on Bernier, and I don't think Bernier/Mason is a particularly strong tandem.

2) Sign the best available UFA goalie on a short-term (1-2 year deal) and figure it out. N. Backstrom maybe?