View Single Post
Old
06-12-2013, 02:09 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
He has been stagnant as one of the most dominating players in the league. In general, unless a player is on the downslope of his career, as long as he stays on the same pace he is on (or better) he will get a raise. The exceptions normally include a guy taking a pay cut to stay on the team or to help the team. This is even more true with a player of Malkin's caliber who would be sought after by every single team in the NHL (and other leagues).

I mean, think about what you are saying. The second best player in the world has dominated his entire career. He is a UFA. He is 27. He is going to get a raise unless he decides to stay for a team friendly deal. Even if you don't think he deserves one for some reason, there is nothing shocking about the "audacity" of Malkin to ask for $1.3 million more.

Once again, the world doesn't work that way. If you are getting $8.7 million, and are dominating, you are going to get a raise unless you are willing to accept less. It is silly to think that Malkin is making some outrageous demand here. I mean think about UFAs every single year that aren't Evgeni Malkin that get raises for essentially not getting worse. Every year the majority of NHL UFAs (not including fringe NHLers of course, but regular NHL guys that play 82 games a year) get raises. Some of them becuase they improved greatly. Some because their expiring contract was artificially low. Some out of supply and demand. Some because they are simply good players. Now look at Malkin. One of the most dominating players in the NHL since he arrived. He is a 27 year old UFA. Yes he makes a lot, but that doesn't mean he is unreasonable to ask for more.

I didn't say Pitt will give it to him, I said Malkin wasn't unreasonable to want it. He very well may price himself out of Pittsburgh, which I think he knows. But he wants $10 million, and based on his play and current contract, that is not an outrageous demand.

Two things: number one I am not sure that a $1.3 million raise is substantial, but I guess we are defining the word differently. Number 2, I agree that he probably does only care about himself, as I have said that in previous posts...he knows he may price himself out of Pittsburgh and he doesn't care (otherwise...why ask for it?). That doesn't strike me as Evgeni Malkin being audacious or unreasonable. It strikes me as a guy making a ton of money, dominating his sport, and wanting more money. A dick move for sure in terms of hurting the Penguins, and I would hate to see a guy like that screw over the Flyers, but it is not unreasonable. If Giroux was making that much, and playing at the same level as Malkin, I wouldn't be shocked if he asked for a raise. That is how the league and the world work.
And I understand that's how it works people get more money for doing why they've been doing for yrs but how does that mean he deserves it? I'm not comparing him to other players players in the league really, more so to himself and the only thing that's changed from his last contract is his age and obviously not in a good way. His next contract willowy likely take him out of his prime (I'm sure he'll still be elite) but why does all that warrant a raise of 13%. Which btw I consider substantial, I never get 13% raises