Isles fan here:

Here is what Streit is right now:

Positives

- Smart puck mover
- Good shot from the point on the PP
- Sees the ice very well
- Good guy in the room

Negatives:

- Has slowed down tremendously. Pitt forwards regularly beat him to the puck / spot in the playoffs
- Virtually no physical presence - in front of the net or corners
- Defensive positioning is poor. Combination of slowing down and and not being able to compete physically, especially since the injury two years ago.

Here is what it is going to take to sign him: 4 yrs min (Isles offered 3) in the range of
$20-22MM (Isles offered close to $15MM).

Bottom line: Play him on the PP and not more than 12-14 mins per night, you will be fine. He CANNOT play top 4 mins anymore. By the end of the playoffs, he was on the 3rd pair for the Isles, QB ing the PP. That is where he belongs and is most effective.
So basically his market value to me doesn't sound anywhere near 5.5 or 6M but we are going to overpay regardless since we are desperate for a PMD ...

If he gets in the 4M range which is his current price tag it will be somewhat more palatable but I guess the years might not be.

All I got to say is he better be an upgrade from Carle who wasn't exactly great offensively but was younger and better defensively than what Streit sounds like. Carle also logged big minutes. I know Carle was hated but the miscalc with Carle was letting him go on the open market in the first place which then made keeping him not reasonable...