View Single Post
Old
06-12-2013, 03:52 PM
The Couturier Effect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Backstrom I don't think you can count on getting for cheap, Thomas maybe but you would think he wants to go somewhere he can start. Mason's 7 game stretch was impressive, but I don't think you necessarily want to tie your wagon to him.

Yes on paper that's not a bad top 6, but Schenn, Simmonds, and Read have all been streaky in their 2 seasons here (1.5 I suppose). I think the top line will be fine, but that 2nd line is hardly putting fear into anybody.

Your 3rd line is then what? McGinn-Couturier-Talbot?
You're probably right about Backstrom. Maybe give him a 1-2 year deal with Vokun money. I can't imagine Thomas getting a starting job anywhere, but we'll see. I'm not sold on Mason either, but I think we've got to roll with him at the start of the season to see what he can bring. Either way, I don't think there's going to be a guaranteed starter going into next year.

IMO, the only thing we can do with the top 6 is to let the kids play. See what they can do. Maybe they could give Horton a look in free agency, but they probably can't afford him. Maybe Penner? I'm not a fan, but he could be an option. I guess money might be an issue there too. We'll see what happens.

As far as the third line goes, I could easily see Gagne in there if they can sign him for cheap (which shouldn't be a real problem). Plus, Gagne could get plugged into the top 6 every now and then, too.