Thread: Proposal: Roberto Luongo to... ANYWHERE!
View Single Post
Old
06-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
The reason many Nuck fans have been critical of Dreger is due to his frequently conflicting reports. He adamantly insisted Gillis practically begged Toronto to take him for next to nothing, only to three days backpedal and add pieces that, while not great by any stretch, were a notable improvement from the original report. Now we could chalk this up as a miscalculation on Dreger's part - analysts certainly do not boost a lofty prediction record. However, this was not a singular occurrence, with mentions of us having to take Komisarek and the like earlier.

Normally, I am on board with Dreger. But this instance he appears more out of touch with Vancouver. Of course, I could be wrong.
I think you are being too nice about Dreger. Yeah, he has great sources and knows his hockey. But, he is far too quick to post speculation and hearsay. Too many times, he posts a trade scenario with the main backup being "it is believed that."

So, personally I am not at all convinced by his take on the Leafs/Nuck talks.

Quote:
T
Luongo's collapses are exaggerated on HF. The only one I would attribute exclusivity on was the first Chicago series. Afterward he has either been solid or one amongst the many that sunk. I would not argue he's a top five goalie, but he definitely maes the top ten cut.
Luongo has also been disappointing on the international stage.

Whether or not his collapses are exaggerated, there are few GMs in the league who would see him as clutch or as the guy you want to build a contending team around. He has never demonstrated any capacity to elevate his game when it is all one the line.

He also doesn't "definitely" make the top 10: Lunqvist, Backstrom, Niemi, Quick, Schneider, Rask, Howard, Miller, Rinne, and Anderson would all be easily be in front of him at this point in time. Arguments could be made for a few other guys (like Bobrovsky) that maybe have a bit more to prove.

Now, we can debate who or who does not belong on the top 10 list. Not suprisingly, as a Nuck fan, you'll want to put Luongo up there and I do think a reasoned argument could be made in that direction. but the point is Luongo is far from being a definite.

Quote:
Unsurprisingly, I disagree. Teams were interested, just not at Gillis' asking price. Acquiring Luongo via waivers is doing so for free. Sure, perhaps some teams wait in hopes of strong arming us into buying him out, but they are then not guaranteed of getting him. Lu on the open market is the best goalie available without question. It is not stretch to believe a team will put in a claim just to ensure they have their man.
It is not a stretch to believe a team will put in a claim (or try to acquire him via trade). It is also far from being a certainty, and not a stretch to believe he'll clear.

And, IMO, the latter is what will likely happen. But, that is ONLY an opinion. I really have no idea how this is all going to play itself out.

The only aspects of this I am completely convinced of is that the Isles will not be involved.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 06-12-2013 at 03:46 PM.