View Single Post
Old
06-12-2013, 03:56 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Do not want to go anywhere near Dan Ellis. He has struggled the last few years in the NHL and has been playing some AHL time as well. Do not want another MFL around this team, Ellis is better, but he isn't a good goaltender.

Nabokov would be an ideal choice but he will most likely be re-signing in NY. Backstrom will cost us and he has had some pretty big injuries the last couple of years. His hips would concern me, especially for how he plays in net. I would think Tim Thomas or the trade route(Bernier) would be the better options.

Also I still think we target Iggy, Clowe and Bickell. Like it or not once Briere leaves that leaves the need for some veteran presence up front. Hartnell would be the only player above 30 there. Iggy can still help us out with his production and leadership. He could probably produce around 55-60 points a year. It would just matter about term and money. I am not sure how much Homer would be willing to go with him.

Bickell would be a good option for the 3rd line. If you can get him right around 3-3.5 million, that would be nice. He will pop in 40 points a year and give you another physical presence in front of the net. One would be there for every line then.

Now I definitely think we might see a move on defense. We will have the most money tied up back there among all teams if we sign Streit. Something is brewing guys, I don't know if it's large or not, but if Coburn is involved, the deal will be big.
I don't know if Bickell gives you 40 points a year. His career high is 37 and while he's a good tear this year, players in contract years should be held with a certain degree of skepticism. His production has been 37, 24, and *23 (shortened season) in his first full seasons in the NHL. He might be a 30 to 35 point guy that's going to get paid a lot of money. I'm pretty certain that some club will give him 4 to 4.5 a year, maybe even 5 depending how desperate a club is. Every year, there's always one free agent that's going to get over paid and in a big way. I think Bickell will probably be that guy this year, although Nathan Horton will probably be right up there with him (unless he takes a discount and re-signs in Boston for about a million bucks a year less).