Thread: Proposal: Roberto Luongo to... ANYWHERE!
View Single Post
Old
06-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Cloudedthought

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Without meaning to flame folk, I have to point out the irony of the attitude that some of you Nuck fans are striking. You're all quick to totally dismiss Dreger because you don't like what he has to say. At the same time, you all were absolutely convinced you were getting all sorts of goodies from the Isles based on a speculative tweet from McKenzie and four sentences from E. Friedman. Apparently, sources like TSN are not very trustworthy when they shed Luongo's trade value in a negative light. But, of course, it a columnist speculates about VCR getting good return, that is truth.

In reality, all sources should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Dreger is very connected, and very smart. He is also very quick to use statements like "it is believed" (that is, "my friends and I think") to back up speculative postions. And, yeah, he has an obvious pro-Toronto bias. I suspect that is less about his own feelings and more about his desire to pander to his fanbase. But, either way, you do have to treat his reports with skepticism.

I also think that a few of you are making yourselves look a bit biased with statements about Luongo being top five, and playing at that level way into his late thirties. None of that is realistic. And, all of that just totally ignores his occasional collapses in big games.

And, then there is the larger issues here. You guys are swimming against tides if you really believe that contracts don't matter to a huge extend. Spin it anyway you want, but no GM wants a mid thirties guy on a 8 year deal with 5+ million cap hit. Add in the NTC, the playoff meltdowns, and the fact that VCR is up against the cap and is as motivated a seller as there is, and the picture is not pretty. Under the best of circumstances you would have had a hard time getting any real value here and these are not the best circumstances.

What is true is that Luongo remains a high level netminder who would be an upgrade for many teams. I also think he is a classy athelete with a wicked sense of humor, and would be a great guy to market for a team trying to put fans in the seats. So, maybe something will work out for VCR here and a GM will blink.

Personally, I think he clears waivers and gets bought out. But, I'd be lying if I said I was confident in that position. And, if he wound up being snapped up in some kind of deal I would not be totally shocked.

Bottom line, nobody knows what will happen. Too complex a situation, and too many cards to be played. World class athelete with volatile market and all sorts of other stuff happening.

I can say with about 110% confidence that he won't be on the Island though. And, I invite all of your to bump this and flame away if I am wrong.
We bring up Dredge because he is connected to the rumor,his relation to Nonis is not even a big deal to me. Would guess if the rumors where true they came from another source to give some seperation anyways. But I blame TSN for the way things have got.
Trade deadline viewing is getting higher with each year and nothing really happens. You hear the personalities on radio weeks before talking about how they will need to sit there twiddling their thumbs hoping for trades to talk about. Boss wants to expand it due to numbers and you could say rumors work in the same way. We all saw Ward all excited about breaking a trade that ended out to be wrong.
Its a classic example of how they have turned into a TMZ of sorts and care only about the numbers they bring in viewership wise.
Who is the biggest market in Canada?

Lous value as a goalie is good,his confidence has taken a hit since all this trade talk for sure. His contract sucks but thats what had to be done or we faced a goalie graveyard again. I think the trade becomes more appealing if the Nucks eat some of the salary and I know Gillis said no to that in interviews but really dont see a better option.
To end off,I dont think Toronto needs a goalie,you got one so we are not forcing him on you. What we are saying is Lou is trade worthy.

So Im not wearing a tinfoil hat when it comes to Lou,but I am some what when it comes to the sports networks in Canada. But that reaches into my political views of most boob tube viewing. They dont call it "programming" for nothing..lol