View Single Post
Old
10-12-2006, 06:34 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
That's cool. What NHLers did you play with or against?
I haven't looked in a long time, but some good ones. Felix Potvin used to be a backup goalie with Mercier in the east end. The Cat was fat and slow when he was a teenager. The starter was a guy named Laforet who was an old time flopper-type goalie (something like Hasek, who revived the style a bit)... he was very good. Mercier was usually the class of Montreal AA hockey when I played. Must be because Molson dumped beer in the water over there.

Mercier and Hochelaga used to be two separate teams. Then there was Federation 76 (Rosemont, basically), PAT, and a team that used to play in Maurice Richard Arena...Assomption or something. I don't really remember the other teams offhand. I think Assomption was only around for a little while too. There must have been other teams, but I can't recall.

Mercier was a dirty team (they didn't have to be) that played great systems and were all skilled and fast. They also wore Canadiens colours, so right there they had an advantage on you already. Their coach was obviously trying to make the NHL, because he acted like it and had his team playing like it. A real showman. Mercier had no outstanding talent that I remember, but every single player was good, dirty and smart. They built perfect teams and it was always a victory just to play a close game against them (at the moment, I can't remember ever beating them....lol....but I do remember a 3-3 tie which we were happy about). They had no mercy for the opposition either, they wouldn't stop once they were on a roll.

Other players I don't remember offhand, but there were some. Denis Chalifoux was supposed to be the next Denis Savard, but he didn't make it. Martin St-Amour got a lot of hype, but same thing, he didn't make it.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 10-12-2006 at 06:49 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote