View Single Post
Old
06-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 28m #Isles announce they have traded veteran defenseman (and captain) Mark Streit to PHI for 4th round pick in 2014 and Shane Harper

Ryder must be worth a decent pick...Go Bergevin Go
Flyers are nuts. Streit looked awful this year IMHO. I mean, I'll be happy if they burden themselves with another dumb contract there. It doesn't seem like a smart move at all to me. There are dozens of mid-level offensive D around who could do as well as Streit does these days, if they got Streit-like ice.

I don't think it means we could get anything for Ryder, though. PMD/PP point man is still a coveted role, while streaky unidimensional 2nd line goal scorer has traditionally been one of the least-coveted niches.

We have to keep Markov for this year, because... well, our D is bad enough already and there's nobody to replace him. Well, and because he's really good. Not what he was. But still really good. That sort of also means we have to keep him beyond this year too, because we won't want to lose him for nothing as a UFA, if it came to that. Unless of course we were out of the playoff races at the trade deadline, but hopefully that's not too likely. So we keep Markov for now, sign him again in the off-season, and revisit the question once there is more data on the table somewhere down the road... no point in planning something now when everything could change. Deal with it when the time comes, not now.