View Single Post
Old
06-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Schedule Announced, Rumours Abound

The new schedule is here! The new schedule is here!

The Bisons open with home series against the Evil Monkeys, followed by the Mangy Banjo-Mutts. A four game winning streak streak to start the season would sure serve them in good stead. There are many quirks to the schedule, including two bye weeks (WTF?) and no home games between November 16th and January 10th.

And when would the games against NCAA teams happen? Manitoba at North Dakota on Oct. 6 is on the UND schedule. That would be stupid. I would much rather those occur during bye weeks, but I doubt it.

Now we should be getting the non-conference/exhibition schedules.

Here's the Bisons' schedule:
Oct. 4-5 Alberta at Manitoba
Oct. 11-12 Saskatchewan at Manitoba
Oct. 18-19 Manitoba at Mount Royal
Oct. 25-26 Calgary at Manitoba
Nov. 1-2 bye
Nov. 8-9 Manitoba at Regina
Nov. 15-16 Lethbridge at Manitoba
Nov. 22-23 Manitoba at UBC
Nov. 29-30 Manitoba at Alberta
Jan. 3-4 Manitoba at Saskatchewan
Jan. 10-11 Mount Royal at Manitoba
Jan. 17-18 Manitoba at Calgary
Jan. 24-25 bye
Jan. 31-Feb. 1 Regina at Manitoba
Feb. 7-8 Manitoba at Lethbridge
Feb. 14-15 UBC at Manitoba

Links:
|> [CW Story]
|> [pdf schedule]
|> [UND Schedule]

The Bisons have no new recruitment announcemements. But the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix fueled the speculation with a story about Saskatoon Blades' captain Brenden Walker. He is attending the Phoenix Coyotes' camp without a contract, and would like an AHL deal. It seems the prevailing wisdom is that the wise move is to use your WHL scholarship unless you get at least an AHL deal signed, and Walker seems to be on board with that concept.
Quote:
If Walker fails to latch on to a pro team, he does have a backup plan.

"If nothing works out, I might just go to school," Walker said. "Right now, my goal is to play in the AHL. If that doesn't work out, then we'll figure it out after.

"Right now, I'm just going to work hard at making it to the next level."

He said the University of Manitoba and University of Saskatchewan would top his list of possible schools, should it come to that.

"Those two are both great decisions - good hunting and good people there in Saskatchewan, so the U of S would be a great place to go, and Manitoba is my hometown, so that would be a lot of fun, too. That would be a hard decision," he said.
Links:
|> [Saskatoon Star-Phoenix Story]

The STU Pids have been rocked by the resignation of coach Troy Ryan. They have been amongst the CIS's most consistent losers in recent years, aided and abetted by their tough AUS schedule. Even their blogger has thrown in the towel!

Links:
|> [STU Story]
|> [STUTommies.com Story]
|> [CIS Blog Story]

Normally, basketball news would not get into this thread. But the CW has announced that in 2014-15 they will have 11 teams in one division and 6 in the other. The division of 6 will include CW newcomers the TRU WolfPack, UBC-Okanagan Heat, UNBC Timberwolves, Fraser Valley Cascades, Mount Royal Cougars and Grant MacEwan Griffins. All of the big traditional schools will play in the 11 team division. The divisions will not play an interlocking schedule.

Why do I point this out? This is tiering by any other name.

Could this have applicability to the OUA? Let the speculation begin.

Links:
|> [CW Story] reposted at [U of M Site]
|> [Kamloops News - Announcement Story] : [Kamloops News - Follow-up Analysis]

The Calgary Dinos have not announced anything, but the West Kelowna Warriors claim that forward Daniel Gayle has been recruited. Now, he has a scholarship to go there but that does not mean he will play there. This happened when an MJHL player won a scholarship to the U of M and Elite Prospects took this as confirmation that the player had been recruited. Not always so. We'll find out, I guess.

Links:
|> [Warriors' Story]

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote