View Single Post
Old
06-13-2013, 04:32 AM
Maverick41

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuernberger View Post
Absolutely not. The last thing German hockey needs is another organization that is solely caring about its members and doing its own thing. German hockey is fragmented enough.
The ideal situation would be if there was one entity organizing the whole hockey landscape in Germany, from top to bottom. I don't care who that would be and even though I feel like the DEB is an old boys club, it's still better than nothing and does have some authority (plus the national team).
We as German hockey fans will at some point have to accept that a regular promotion and relegation is simply not feasible at this point. Even most DEL clubs are kept alive artificially and that will not change anytime soon.
There will always be conflicting interests and that's why, in my opinion, a strong hand would be required that can enforce its will on all the organizations.

All we can hope for is that there will be a continuous effort to promote the sport in the country to make it more attractive (the shift from Sky to ServusTV was actually a huge step into this direction) and the Sabos, Hopps, etc. don't lose their interest in the matter.
The absolutely pathetic performances of the national won't help, though.

The best thing would be if DEL (including the rogue teams) and DEB were able to work together (kind of like DFL and DFB), but with the current personnel on both sides that is not going to happen. The DEL has done a better job in marketing their product than the DEB has ever done, so from a business standpoint them running the leagues makes sense.
I agree that they need to look at the big picture and not just the welfare of their teams, but I still prefer them running the show compared to a federation which has a leadership that has proven its incompetence again and again over the years.
I mean what can the DEB actually do? They have little to no money and thus can do little to promote the game or help the development of young players.
I bet they would like to but they can't.

The main reasons we produce somewhat decent players at all, are a lot of voluntary coaches who are laying the foundation at small, clubs helping to get kids interested in the game, and, as you said, the involvement of guys like Hopp or Sabo paying a lot of money out of their own pockets. The fact of the matter is, that German hockey does not have the money to copy what they did in Switzerland.

To clarify I am not sold on the DEL and DEL II approach, I only feel it is the lesser of two evils, although it is pretty much a toss up.

I wish we could get rid of all these clowns and find some competent people on both sides who would be willing to work together FOR German hockey and not AGAINST it.

Maverick41 is offline   Reply With Quote