View Single Post
Old
06-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Draft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
That is a real concern. Habs fans hate perimeter, inconsistent effort players, especially when they are big. We all remember Ryders first time here and how it ended, and this guy had scored 85 goals in the 3 years prior to his last one with us. Being young and a local boy will give him time but he will get the business from the fans if he plays soft and inconsistent lacks effort, even if he scores 30.
No one cares what Habs fans think, we only make a big deal of it amongst ourselves, the hate is a self-contained in a closed system. Maybe that's a little exaggerated but our opinions aren't exactly important when management is trying to put together a team.

I'll pick the player that helps a team win games, no matter what style they play. If Mantha can score 30 goals in a season and Hartman can score 10, I'm quite sure I'd go with Mantha, no matter how the player looks when he plays. Goals win the games, not "intangibles" and heart, no matter how you spin it. You need a basis of good offensive players before you can add guys you "win with". Win as many defensive zone faceoffs, battles along the boards and fights you want but if you can't score goals, you cant win a game. That's all just hocus-pocus hockey talk IMO. If we truly feel Hartman/Nastasiuk/Horvat will be game-breakers and better players because of there intangibles and we feel we already have a basis of good offensive forwards, then we pick them. I'm just not sure we're there yet as a team and I wouldn't use our first round pick on them.

As long as he's not bad in the room, doesn't let himself get beat up after the whistle, attempts to play defensively and brings offence, I could care less how Mantha scores the goals. I'm quite sure his style of play, off-ice worth ethic, size and tools, with a little help, can translate to the NHL. He may never be the big power forward but he looks like he could be an elite complimentary offensive forward, there's nothing wrong with that.

IMO, you add grit to the scoring as it's very difficult to add scoring to the grit.

Last edited by Draft: 06-13-2013 at 08:54 AM.