View Single Post
Old
06-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm not sure about that, take a look at this.

The Corsi numbers actually reflect what most us were posting last night. The Bruins had their fair of chances, most of which came at the end of the second OT and pretty much the entire third OT, but the Hawks drove the play. The puck was on a Hawks player stick for most of the night, they were buzzing, Bruins did an excellent job blocking shot lanes.

The Hawks were far from helpless and I would say that they were the better team, by a close margin in a game that could have gone either way.

Also, I wouldn't dismiss advanced or fancy stats, especially when they are employed by nhl teams. I believe there is a quote somewhere with Chiarelli, the Bruins master mind, saying you shouldn't rely on advanced stats, but they help paint a picture of what's going on in another way. Dave Tippett of the Coyotes also has admitted to using advanced stats as well: http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/4/...-matt-niskanen
Quite a bit of that is just score effects too. The team trailing usually dominants the shot clock and that was Chicago for much of the game.