Thread: Trade immenent?
View Single Post
Old
01-06-2004, 03:19 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oildrop
Why are some of you saying that Jason Smith is going to be a UFA after this season because of the new CBA? RFA's that are going to arbitration will be signed by August 15th, if I remember correctly. Smith will be signed by then and the CBA doesn't get under way until September. So are you saying that all players under contract will have their contracts revoked and then everyone will be a UFA? I highly doubt it, so I don't see why Smith would be a UFA.
Two ways Smith could become a UFA:

#1 - There is a work stoppage for one year, the CBA is redone with the UFA age saying the game. At this point (one year and about 5 or 6 months from now), Smith will be past 31, and out of a contract, thus making him a UFA.

#2 - The UFA age is lowered and Smith hasn't signed by the day the CBA drops (most UFA's, if not all, will not be signed before the CBA comes down, mostly due to financial, and in some cases, management, uncertainty.

The only way Smith does not become a UFA if there isn't a work stoppage and the UFA age isn't lowered, or he signs an extension between now and the CBA.

Anyhow, even if Smith is a UFA, it doesn't mean the Oilers couldn't resign him. You guys are acting as if free agents simply dissapear into the night. I know this has happened in Edmonton often, but consider that some guys have actually be SIGNED as a UFA. Oates for instance. Also, wasn't Staios picked up as a UFA?