View Single Post
Old
06-13-2013, 05:35 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Most years a more offensive minded defense wins the cup, like LA, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh.

Boston's defense is also helped by having a lot of good defensive forwards and a conservative system. If you put those 6 d-men playing for Edmonton Colorado or Florida they probably look closer to average. Much like the JM system made our defense look better in 2010.
I wouldn't consider those any more offensive minded than the Bruins team that won the cup. The only common denominator was that they had a franchise defenseman and Norris winner/finalist on all these teams. Doughty, Lidstrom, Keith, Letang.

The remainder of the defense corps on these teams is hardly what I would have considered soft, or mostly offensive minded players. While we have a good mix here in Montreal the only well balanced defenseman in the league of the players mentioned above is Subban. Gorges is ok defensively but hardly intimidating, and the only other partially physical defenseman we have is Emelin and I find him overrated on these boards. He's a great bottom pairing defenseman, but that's it.

The transition to a more robust style of defending is the only way we stand a change at prolonged post-season success. This is only going to be achieved once Tinordi establishes himself a regular and we ship out one of Markov/Diaz for more rounded and physical replacement.