View Single Post
Old
06-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
What argument would you use to back this opinion?

I'd say lateral at worst:

- can be used without sheltering defensively: Gives more opportunity to shelter Galchenyuk and less worry on matchups
- similar in age
- 66 point career high on playoff team during the season Desharnais got his 60 point career high on loterry team
- Career average ~40-45 point production
- versatile: LW, C, PP, occational PK, 3rd line, 2nd line - many different linemates
- ~52% faceoffs
- Cup Ring
- over 100 playoff games experience - would be tops on the Habs
- 41 points in last 65 playoff games
- Not that different in cap hit: est 4.0-4.5M (similar to Hudler seems plausible)
- average size

For 0.5M - 1.0M more, I can't see how one can argue lateral at best unless you weight this past season as the main basis of future production.
He's leaving Detroit because he's looking for 5 mil a year on a long term deal. No way do I sign Filippula to a 4.5-5 mil cap hit, not the type of player we need period.

"Valtteri Filppula isn't likely to play for the Detroit Red Wings next season.
Detroit, which tends to take a conservative approach to managing their salary cap, aren't likely to meet his reported demands of around $5 million annually. That's not unreasonable given that Filppula had just 17 points in 41 games in 2013, but he might still command that much on the open market where the talent pool is thin."