Old
06-14-2013, 08:48 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Well I don't know what to tell you. When a player leads your 2nd unit with 6 pp pts something is wrong given the number of opportunities, even during this shortened season I would label that as incompetent (I think it more then fair to assume that B Schenn had at least 4 of his pp pts on the first unit while Hartnell was out given his two pp goals and 10 of his 24 pts on the year came in a 13 game period in February that Schenn was playing with Voracek and w/ 1st pp duties). I mean you could've thrown Talbot, Fed and a bunch of other 3rd and 4th liners and expect to see around 3pts in a 48 game season. When numbers are that low they aren't getting the job done.

And the bold above obviously needs to be taken into consideration but I don't see how you can look at those numbers and say that the 2nd unit was even decent. They were downright terrible at times and I didn't need to look up any numbers.

What am I missing here? 50 percent is a ridiculous number. The Flyers finished 3rd in the league with 21.6 percent behind Pitt (24.7) and Washington (26.8). A competent 2nd unit would have pushed them up 5 percent IMO. And you can't really compare the 2nd units of the Flyers to the 2nd units of Pitt as Pitts first unit was great. I mean considering they had Letang, Crosby, Malkin and Neal it's hard to image a better pp (I can't believe I just wrote that ). Also this is a percent we are talking about here so comparing pp pts from one team to another tells you nothing as it doesn't take into consideration the number of opportunities.
Haha, I'm not sure why I wrote 50%, it should have said 25%, which is also a pretty high number in terms of power play percentage. Haha. Either way, my argument stands. Look at the stats of other second units and tell me that the Flyers are any different. The first unit, especially when it is as good as the Flyers' first unit is, SHOULD score substantially more than the second unit. Most top units, for a number of reasons (better players, more time, more opportunities, etc) will have more points than the second unit. I think that you'll find that the second unit of the Flyers is on the same page as the second unit of much of the NHL. I'm not saying the Flyers second unit is the best in the NHL or anything special, but they are hardly terrible or incompetent.