06-14-2013, 10:48 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
They're not on the same level at all, but if you're just aiming on drafting Prust kind of guys, might as well save your top picks for something else.

As you say, everyone is in love with those Bickell/prust types, but generally fail to realize there's about 17 other guys on the team next to him and at least 3-5 of those who are clearly more important. Those are the players we should be targetting.
And as I said, there's nothing about drafting McCarron at 25 that would preclude us from getting 2 skilled players at 34/36. We also used 3 of our first 4 picks last year on skilled forwards.

If you keep drafting average sized, skilled forwards, that's all your team is ever going to be made up of. And I'm not saying skilled forwards are a bad thing but, as we clearly saw in the playoffs first hand, you need a mix. They're hard to get in a trade and hard to get in free agency, so where else can you look? I don't see another avenue besides the draft.

People want an identity change in Montreal but aren't willing to take the risks to get there.

Quote:
As for actually drafting them, well, we've done just about as well in the first round as we have in the later rounds in regards to drafting a big tough power forward or even 'at worst he'll be a great 3rd liner" kinda guys (chips, leblanc). And invoking Occam's Razor, I would rather assume it's more because of the inability to properly evaluate or scout that particular talent than it is unwillingness, so I hope the organization wouldn't ask timmins to bias himself towards larger players as many on this board are suggesting.
On the contrary, I would suggest that our scouting staff's weakness in being unable to identify and draft power forwards in any round as a reason for why we would need to reach higher for those guys than maybe some other teams who can draft power forwards in later rounds would have to. If our scouts aren't getting it done in that area (but are extremely proficient in other areas), why not take a chance on the consensus guy? Can't be worse than the nothing we've produced so far, and you still have your two other high picks in the second round to fall back on if he busts.