View Single Post
Old
06-14-2013, 10:51 AM
eco's bones

vCash: 500
Pyett would have been a good player to bring back. Vernace would be too. Collins--not so much.

For those who don't like the idea that guys like these don't have much chance to make the NHL and so are better off dumped I can only say that you need to spend more time looking at capgeek--that it can be your friend.

A quick perusal for the 2013-14 season would tell you that the Rangers have 5 non-NHL defensemen currently under contract. Leading the pack for the Pack next year as far as experience goes is the much maligned Stu Bickel. 2nd as far as experience goes is one of our better prospects Dylan McIlrath who only has a slight bit more than half a year as a pro. Coming in third with one (as in 1) career AHL game is a college free agent Conor Allen and after that both Tommy Hughes and Samuel Noreau no pro experience at all--and I'm wondering just how competitive do some people believe this AHL team of ours is going to be if those are 5 of the 6 d-men we dress every night?--and keeping in mind what happens if McIlrath sticks with the big club? or if say Noreau or Hughes are deemed not ready for the AHL and wind up in Greenville instead?

For a team to be competitive at the AHL level you need at least some seasoned veterans (notice the plural) on your defense--and whether or not they're NHL worthy--at least two guys who can play in your top 4. The easy answer is to sign these guys to AHL contracts I suppose--but you know what?--the better guys out there who can fit into your top 4 are a lot more likely to sign with a team that will give them a two way NHL contract. The d-men who do sign AHL contracts tend to be bottom pairing guys. I'm not making this up--this is more or less how it works. This is why guys like Newbury, Segal, Vernace keep being re-signed because they're still valuable to organizations. They're 1) around as NHL depth in case of injury--2) as help in building a winning enviroment to develop your younger players in--3) to also help those younger players develop and adjust to life on and off the ice. They can be extremely important to their organizations even if they seem like losers to some. You cannot win at the NHL let alone the AHL level with just first and second year guys. Look at the ****ing Oilers. Tons of talent. Lack of experience.

Last edited by eco's bones: 06-14-2013 at 11:00 AM.