View Single Post
Old
06-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Runner77

vCash: 9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider View Post
All the picks have to be able to skate.That is a given.No heavy feet, or poor lateral turning.I want prospects who have the best chance to make the pros and if he only has ECHL skating, I'm not interested.The same goes for hockey sense, and a lack of it could show up in the more abstract areas like competitiveness or an inability to "put it all together". A kid who plateaus like Angelo Esposito is to be avoided, no matter how sweet the siren song of "all that potential".

A lack of skating and skill begets us another Turner Stevenson if we only cared about size.I want more than that.I'd like a Kirk Muller + Mike McPhee + Mike Keane.Or 3 more Prust's in the lineup.
The more abstract aspects is where the finely-tuned eye of a competent scout comes in.

However, how could they ever know that an 18-year old kid has plateaud? You can establish parameters that could emit warning signs (some of which might come out during psychological testing or interviews) and even then, it's as inexact a science as you'll get. If a player has indeed plateaud, then it's the luck of the draw -- you attribute it to the normal failure rate that the process entails.