Old
06-14-2013, 03:25 PM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Can some explain this money
Puck thing to me? I know it's a strategy in baseball using the amount of times a player gets on base and it somehow equals runs or something. I know a big part of that is getting a bunch of really cheap players that get on base, and using 3 of them or something to replace a very expensive player.

I'm not sure how that equates to hockey, like at all. I know Gillis is said to be a "money puck" GM but all he really do was convince his star players to take less money, circumvent the cap and place players on LTIR. Frankly I think Gillis is a moron, and if the Vancouver example proved anything is that being money puck doesn't work.

I assume you could use shots or possession or something and reason out that if you have such and such amount I shots from one line you could equal Sidney crosby's pts or something. I don't think I really works in Hockey because it doesn't take into consideration how said star player affects the guys around him.

I dunno. Someone help me out here?
In baseball it's about valueing the stats that correlate to wins, not something like home runs, and getting those players instead. IE On base average > Batting Average

In hockey it would be looking at stats that correlate most closely to wins, which, contrary to many people's beliefs, is not goals. If we can agree that the bruins and the blackhawks are at least pretty close to equal, you can see that boston was able to make the final with less guys with 'star level' sniping talent, and more of a team of solid guys who keep up the pressure and just outchance opponents.

a "Moneypuck" guy is a guy that helps his team win more than his salary (often related to points) implies, by other measures, like possession and out-chancing opponents.

(Like Burmistrov Sarcasm but only sort of )

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote