Old
06-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Really?

If Stamkos wasn't the face of TB's franchise and singlehandedly sold the arena seats, they'd probably do Hank for Steven in a heartbeat. Nobody's winning anything with Matt Carle as the #2D and a goalie tandem of Bishop/Lindback.

OT, in 2008, we almost did get Stamkos.
'Almost' is a huge exaggeration here.

Quote:
By the time the Blueshirts visited Tampa on Thanksgiving of 2008, the talks had become serious. Barrie was asking to choose two or three from a wish list that featured Michael Del Zotto, Evgeny Grachev, Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky and Dan Girardi.

The deal, according to Sather, was struck. The Rangers would be getting Stamkos, who has scored 46 goals thus far this season, tied for second in the NHL with Alex Ovechkin and just one behind Sidney Crosby in the race for the Rocket Richard Trophy.

Oh, no, they wouldn't.

"How close did we come?" Sather asked rhetorically, repeating the question we posed to him as the Rangers practiced in Tampa on Thursday. "We shook hands on it, that's how close.

"I'd been on it since Europe. I had an agreement with Len Barrie. I asked him if he had the authority to make the trade, and he assured me that he did, because he was an owner.

"But the next day, I found out that he didn't."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...Vq92kFkpEFVBMI

To summarize:

-There was a 'handshake' deal in place with one owner of the most shadiest ownership groups in recent times. And he was lying, meaning, this really never had legs, and Slats was going on a part owners word, seems like a mistake a Vet GM wouldn't make.

-It was more than just Del Z, we are talking two of Callahan, Girardi, Dubinsky plus Del Z.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote