View Single Post
Old
06-15-2013, 01:34 AM
major major

vCash: 500
Corsi is the advanced stat that I find most troubling. (It's basically a +/- of shot attempts, and it's what Scott Cullen means when he says someone struggled or succeeded at possession). Because there's way more shot attempts than goals or shots, it can be useful in expanding the sample size if that's a problem. But if you're not worried about sample size what's the point of including blocked shots and missed shots? Are they more predictive of future offence than current offence? I don't know but I doubt it.

There's more plain-vanilla advanced stats that I find to be easily useful, like points per 60 minutes 5 on 5, and zone starts and finishes.

Don Cherry had a hilarious and I think appropriate rant a few years back when Ron Maclean brought up Corsi. Ron Maclean mentioned a player's poor Corsi, and Don exploded at him. (The player's Corsi was mostly explained by the fact that he started in his own zone 2/3 of the time).

I can't find video. (Mayor, cue Don Cherry impression. Actually if you could do your Don Cherry impression on a daily basis, I would greatly appreciate it.)