View Single Post
Old
06-15-2013, 05:55 AM
Coach Travis
2016 Champs!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
I think a lot of you guys are overreacting a little bit after the sting of getting swept. The big question facing the Hawks the last couple years of losing in the 1st round was whether they were built to win in the regular season but not the playoffs when the games got more physical and there were less penalties called so opposing teams could slow the Hawks down more than in the regular season. The prevailing opinion by most Hawks fans bought into that thinking and were upset that Bowman didn't add more beef and grit - the supposed missing ingredients. The reality of the past two platoffs were injuries in 2011 against the Canucks and it still went to OT in Game 7 before the Canucks won, and then in 2012, 5 of the 6 games went to OT and the Hawks almost doubled the number of shots that Phoenix had for the series. But Hossa was knocked out early in the series (literally) and Shaw was suspended and Mike Smith's save percentage was around .950 for the series.

So all that means is the majority of Hawk fans thought major changes were needed when in reality the Hawks weren't that far away from having the same success they are having this playoffs.

If I had to name one thing that the Pens could have done differently - it would be to have composure when things started going against them. The Pens played pretty well in the beginning of Game 1 and Games 3 and 4 in Boston. It was the implosion during the last 5 periods in Pittsburgh that was their downfall. I think that belongs not only on Bylsma, but also Sid and the othe rveteran leadership. Hawks fans saw something similar when Toews lost his composure against Detroit and the Wings won games 2 - 4. For whatever reason, Toews and the Hawks regrouped and turned the series around. Sid and his teammates didn't do that until they were 0-2 going to Boston.

Long post - but the message is you guys have two of the best players in the world and some other very good players and you need to take Bowman's approach and stay the coarse more than think wholesale changes are needed.
Good post. I do think, however, that *some* turnover is necessary year-to-year but overall we're in a good spot. Fleury is a big question mark in my mind though and if he indeed can't do the job again, that's $5M you've got wrapped up in a backup.

Coach Travis is offline   Reply With Quote