View Single Post
Old
06-15-2013, 05:49 AM
Kyle McMahon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
I am not bashing Crosby, he is more than capable to handle the defensive side of the game. But in the idea of the trophy, "The Frank J. Selke Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League forward who demonstrates the most skill in the defensive component of the game." I would feel pretty comfortable to put Backstrom or Koivu (probably both of them) ahead of him.

But I am not arguing Crosby's competent of playing defensive hockey, I just think the voting record after 10-or-so should not be used as a "proof" of some players defensive abilities.

Selke probably has the most disparity of all trophies in voting. But then again, defensive play of forward is probably hardest aspect of the game to evaluate.
Defensive play of a defenseman is evidently difficult to evaluate as well, considering the likes of PK Subban came in as a Norris finalist over Zdeno Chara or Duncan Keith.

I think the awards voting has it's value historically from the eras where media members actually watched games, saw every team, and had a feel for many players in the league. In a 30-team league, those days are a thing of the past.

There's somebody out there that thinks Patrick Kane was the 2nd-best defensive player in the NHL this year. Somebody else thinks Nazem Kadri or Tyler Seguin were 4th-best. Are these people really qualified to say who was better between Toews and Bergeron? Not in my books.

Marc Spector, who writes for the National Post and hosts a radio show in Edmonton, stated "I was surprised I ended up voting for Niemi for Vezina, but my research showed how good of a season he had". Let me get this straight, you make a living watching and reporting on hockey, yet had to conduct research (aka, looked up his save %) to decide who should win the Vezina? Most media members are probably less reliable in these matters than an astute fan with access to Center Ice is.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote