View Single Post
Old
06-15-2013, 08:53 AM
Dennis Bonvie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Defensive play of a defenseman is evidently difficult to evaluate as well, considering the likes of PK Subban came in as a Norris finalist over Zdeno Chara or Duncan Keith.

I think the awards voting has it's value historically from the eras where media members actually watched games, saw every team, and had a feel for many players in the league. In a 30-team league, those days are a thing of the past.

There's somebody out there that thinks Patrick Kane was the 2nd-best defensive player in the NHL this year. Somebody else thinks Nazem Kadri or Tyler Seguin were 4th-best. Are these people really qualified to say who was better between Toews and Bergeron? Not in my books.

Marc Spector, who writes for the National Post and hosts a radio show in Edmonton, stated "I was surprised I ended up voting for Niemi for Vezina, but my research showed how good of a season he had". Let me get this straight, you make a living watching and reporting on hockey, yet had to conduct research (aka, looked up his save %) to decide who should win the Vezina? Most media members are probably less reliable in these matters than an astute fan with access to Center Ice is.
Agreed.

Its why many here question awards from the 06 era. Looking strictly at the numbers doesn't tell the whole story. Writers from that era had a much easier time comparing players.

Today, if you're covering a game on a Saturday night, you're missing maybe 10-12 games which you may only see highlights of. Its fair to say that no one who voted saw Bergeron and Toews enough to know which one was better defensively this year.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote