View Single Post
Old
06-15-2013, 12:28 PM
PAZ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
He'll definitely help in terms of puck possession. Solid on the cycle, goes to dirty areas and has a nose for the puck. The problem is his shot selection is atrocious.

He's great in a 3rd line role, and he's well worth 5 million to be the focal point of a bottom 6. I don't believe his 30 goals were a fluke in that regard. But if you ask him to be a top 6 guy, he's going to disappoint because he is not smart enough to go against top defensive pairings and lines, and his shot selection negates what you're true top 6 guys bring.

That's why I want Clarkson back if we can sign someone like Horton or someone, but if we can't bring in a top 6 player, I'd rather not pay Clarkson to try to meet expectations he's not capable of meeting.
I'm confused by that logic. Clarkson would be signing a 3-4 year deal, you don't think the Devils can find another top 6 player in the next 3-4 years to bump him down? If theres no prospect that can slot into the top 6, why not have Clarkson as a filler, he's already shown he doesn't look out of place. He might not be ideal, but I really don't get that thought process.

In your scenario, you'd lose Clarkson and also don't sign the a top 6 player. That sounds like the Devils would be going into a rebuild, which isn't the case (at least I wouldn't think so after reaching the SCF the year before).

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote