View Single Post
Old
06-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Just to put it in a perspective. There is a small village where I have relatives. They have an outdoor rink. A guy I know pretty much has rebuilt it by himself after it has fallen apart literally in the 90's. They have teams there: kids, juniors, adults and a mixed team with juniors and adults. They participate in a local tournament there. Still they are not registered players, because it's a pretty casual level. The roster differs from game to game. The kids from the village are free to attend practices, all they need is some gear. It's not a hockey school. If you want to learn some serious hockey you should go elsewhere and they have no opportunity to really practice on a indoor rinks. There are some in the nearby town, but the ppl just can't afford it. It's around $150 per hour to rent the rink. It may not sound like much, but it is for the ppl there.

Still, they organized a game against the local VHL team this winter. Of course it wasn't the VHL top-roster and of course it was a big blowout, but props to the VHLers for caring and doing stuff like that.

There is atotally different picture in urban areas.

So that's the situation right now. There are ppl who do things like that, but there is no real structure or support from above right now. I hope the talking in the FHR will result in some real support for those ppl in the end.
I enjoyed reading your account. Its great that the guy you know is taking the time and considerable effort to make sure that kids and adults in their village have a place where they can enjoy fun hockey throughout the winter. The main thing is to enjoy playing, but if it should occur that one of the kids in the village happens to show some talent, the expansion of youth hockey that is currently going on (even at the early stage) should offer the talented kid a place where he can go, no doubt in another town or city, to see if he can develop his talent.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote