View Single Post
06-15-2013, 12:49 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Mueller may go top 15.. dreaming red white and blue technicolor if you think he's available at 55..same with Diaby in the 70's..I don't expect him to be there at 55...if he is you snap him up. In fact..if he's still on the board in the late 40's I could see the Habs surrendering a third rounder to move up to get him.

Mantha played on the pk quite a bit, and there's no doubt that he could be dangerous...he likes to basket hang at times..he has a knack for getting sprung behind the opponent's defence for breakaways both at even strength and on the PK. He is not averse to throwing hits, and I even saw him drop the gloves a couple of times (against much smaller opponents) and fare well in a scrap. He has good speed and a great shot..there are no doubts that he's an intriguing prospect, and will likely be picked somewhere in the 15-25 range because of his positive traits - size, speed, shot, skill, offensive hockey sense.

There are some question marks however - he took too many nights off, especially when the going got rough and the checking was tight. He does not like to get hit, and no one is going to describe him as gritty. He didn't step up and play consistently when his team needed it. For the most part he avoids the dirty areas.

I talked to one of Val Dor's chief scouts about him - he conceded that he's not the bravest player on the ice..noted that when he was drafted he was small (may have weighed 140 pounds)..had a major growth spurt..but may not be used to his size. Perhaps his mentality will change..but you would have to be hoping for something that is not likely to happen. Soft junior players for the most part remain soft players when they turn pro.

So - there are questions about character, competitiveness, and defensive play. Because of those concerns, I'm not sure he's a player the Habs would consider drafting in the first round if he's there. Lots of other options available with less question marks...this is a deep draft.

I really think grit, size and character are going to be key components in Habs' top picks this year, along with skill of course. You look at the Habs' division, and consider that in the future they will likely have to play the Bruins to advance in the playoffs. You look at Montreal's top prospects up front - Collberg, Kristo, Hudon, Bozon, Vail - while they aren't lacking in competitiveness, none would be described as big bruisers. You look at division opponents like Toronto and Ottawa, who will be adding the likes of Ross, Biggs, Noesen and Zibanejad (two years from now he'll be a beast physically), to their already gritty lineups.

Will the Habs win in the playoffs with Patch, Mantha, Gally, Eller/Plekanec/DD and Chucky in the top 6 a year or two from now? I don't see a lot of grit there - the hardest player is 5-8.

McCoshen/Mueller, McCarron, Bailey and Diaby..if the Habs can leave the draft with that group.....and a good goalie prospect...I will have considered it a major success. I really can't see McCarron dropping to 34 though - too many teams looking for that type of player.
Grant, I have said in a number of posts that the only downside with what I believe is our very good strategy otherwise of heavily weighting speed ( guy has to be able to skate ) and skill is that we haven't weighted size and physical play enough. Do you think Im accurate here and do you have any concerns that we wont take one of those big good skating bruisers at all in our top 3, if available. Also, what do you think ofDe la Rose and where would you rank him ? Thanks kindly.