View Single Post
Old
06-15-2013, 02:44 PM
phillytennis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great story! My dad who passed away 2 years ago had also great stories as he was a usher at the Forum and Bell Centre as well as the Olympic Stadium for the Expos. When they were destroying the Forum, my dad was amongst the ushers that were chosen to guard it during the day. And there were a lot of known visitors that stopped by to go in and witness the destruction of it and such and the guy that left my father the biggest impression was....Adam Graves as strange as it sounds. He came in with his wife, asked my father to come in, my father knew who he was, and he accepted and Graves wanted to go at the center where the ice was and wasn't there anymore and was extremely touched to see that this great building was not going to be anymore...My father said that he was really emotional and he wasn't expected that. Anyway, that's far from the draft.....but true that it shouldn't make ourselves old compared to the rest of our net friends here, just happy to have been part of something great and hoping it can come back somehow. And the draft is the way to restart this thing...how do you like that to get back in topic???
A nice read!!!I remember when I was playing on an all-star team as a kid...we had a Saturday morning practice and hovering along the boards was Jacques Plante. He was a good friend of the father of one of our players. It certainly motivated me to skate that much faster. As well, when I was 16, I was working at the Sutton Place Hotel at the corner of Wellesley and Bay St. in Toronto. The Habs were playing the Leafs during the semi-final of the Stanley Cup playoffs. I knew the Canadiens were staying at the Sutton Place. A Greek waiter who worked in the dinning room was able to get the entire team to sign a menu for me...everybody signed...Lafleur, Shutt,
Mahovilich, Robinson, Lambert, Tremblay, Robinson, Lapointe, Savard...even Scotty Bowman. I saw and spoke to Risebrough in the lobby. Pierre Bouchard walked by me...what a monster of a man. For a school english assignement, I was hoping to interview Lafleur and Shutt who were sitting the hotel coffee shop. They were sitting at the end of the counter. When, I finally got the nerve to approach them, they stood up and headed to the cash register in order to pay their bill. I didn't feel like chasing them out of the coffee shop...knowing they were preparing for a match that evening against the Leafs.
I remember shaking hands with the Rocket...Maurice Richard in 1993...at a photo signature event. I remember thinking...what a big powerful hand...my hand was lost in his handshake. Great memories!!!