View Single Post
Old
06-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I've been a fan and have watched Flyers teams for 35 years now. I can tell you with 100% certainty that Coburn is one of the most talented defensemen there is. However, he's about as bright as a burnt out light bulb when he's on the ice. So infuriating to watch a defenseman who just oozes talent (he can skate, he can hit, he can play positionally, he's physical, he's also got puck carrying skills, he can shoot), but he has absolutely 0 hockey IQ.

Everyone talks about how he needs to be paired with a puck handling defenseman in order for him to be effective. That's so wrong. Look at how well he played when he and Grossmann were paired together. Look at how well he played when he was partnered with guys like Jason Smith and Derian Hatcher. He's so dumb that it kills me to watch all this talent go to waste. And every year, you can guarantee this is like clock work, he starts off the season horribly, he starts to get better and just when you think he's about to turn the corner and put it all together, he falls back into typical Coburn mode.

I've tried to defend the guy. I've really, really, really tried to defend him. But I can't anymore. People talk about how difficult it would be replace him and how 6'5 defenders who can skate don't grow on trees. You can have all the physical talent in the world, but if you're dumb, it just negates everything. And that's what you get with Coburn. At this point, I'd rather just cut bait and let him be someone else's problem. No matter how hard one tries, you just can't fix stupid.
I agree with you. Teams would be interested in him just because of all the tools he has. It looks like they are going to throw some serious cash at Streit, so someone on the backend could be moved and Coburn could get a decent return(picks I hope).