View Single Post
Old
06-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Draft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Well it depends, we've taken some risks but none of them paid off for us. We drafted Kostitsyn instead of name it because he slipped, we drafted Price 5th overall when we had a lot of depth in net (that one paid off), we decided to keep Souray and make a run for the playoffs instead of trading him away for assets, we traded McDonagh for Gomez, we gave huge contracts to Gionta and Cammalleri who were the top UFAs of that off-season, we kept Price and traded Halak (who was the hottest thing that summer) for a prospect, we re-signed Markov instead of Wizniewski, etc. It's really all about perspective, some of these moves obviously don't carry the same magnitude but it all adds up in the end and explains our current status: a good but not great team.
I wrote it quite poorly but, you bring up some good points. I'm thinking more of our current lineup and the risks we need to take to bring our team to the next level (i.e. Plekanec, Markov, ~Price, Bourque etc.). Looking at potential short term risk/loss and making it into a long-term gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
great post my friend and its not about risk , its about knowing where you are now and far r u away from competing and taking the steps to get there

now I am not trading Markov for a bag of chips or dumping Pleks until Galchy and Eller are a legit 1-2

my point on Dias is this , he is a small soft finesse defensivley challenged player not built for the playoffs

I have a 6`3" 205 pound D who maybe 220 when its done named Nathan who might be our futrure Markov

put him in there and not Dias who will never be the answer , and I would rather learn with him than waste 4 years keepin Dias and watch the same ineffective playoff player

same goes with Ryder ..why pay him at the end of his career when I have Krist who may replace him and we did theright thing letting him go
That's what a lot of people miss out on. I'm happy with how well our team did this year and I'd hate to take away from their success but, I can't see us repeating or sustaining that type of production over an 82 game season, we hardly did over the 48.

Chicago, LA, Boston and Pittsburgh are all built around a group of elite core players that will give them a cup window for x amount of years. We have the chance to replicate that to a certain extent and we NEED to define our core and build around it. Add the players that give this group of core players the best chance at succeeding.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-XXXXX
XXXXXXX-Eller?-Gallagher

XXXX-Subban
Tinordi-Beaulieu

Price

This is our core IMO. Build around this and give these players a chance to compete, our old core of Plekanec, Markov, ~Bourque, Gionta, Gomez, Cammy, etc. are passed their chance at competing. If we don't take this chance to build around this group of players, our moveable assets will have lost their value and we'll have missed our chance at building a powerhouse team.