Thread: Trade immenent?
View Single Post
Old
01-06-2004, 07:07 PM
theoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
that would have to be one avenue. Rink board ads, and other ads within the rink, would have their rates jacked as the team improved, PPV revenues would probably go up, I'm sure they'd get more money from sportsnet if the viewership increased with a better team (which it almost certianly would). This year the Canucks have started a program with season ticket holders where if they can't make a game, the tickets are placed in an on-line auction, with pretty much a 50/50 split betweent he proceeds going to the canucks and to the ticket holder. That's something that should be looked at. Actually, in general, I think the Oilers should look at an on-line bidding system for all tickets that aren't sold to season ticket holders, maybe only for games that will generate a big demand

I'm not claiming to know what would happen but that's what the team would be banking on.

I understand all of that. I don't like how you use the word "deserve" - I know a ton of people already who would like to go but can't afford it. It's not about deserving, merely about affording.

When I used the word market I was referring to the paying customer and ticket prices, not to the "market" involved with players salaries, draft, etc.

Or am I misinterpreting this last part of your post?
First of all 'speeds' my apologies. I really like your posts and didn't mean to rant at you.

I used the word 'deserves' in pretty much the way you used it in your original post and it was meant to reflect that. You were wondering if Edmonton could prove that it 'deserves' a team.

I guess I am a little skeptical about the business side of hockey. I don't comment on trades much because I don't think I know enough about other team's players and I defer to a lot of you concerning how good or bad so and so is playing. But business. I understand business. I have been running businesses for over 25 years. If you think that there is a 'market' for paying customers and ticket prices but that salaries and drafts are something different then you understand business differently than I do because to me the one is inextricably tied to the other or you have a monoply which is illegal. No. the situation is that the entire package is controlled through the constraints of the CBA which dictates every aspect of what is essentially a controlled artificial construct designed to make money.

The problem is that the NHL is a business but currently operates as though it is 30 businesses imposing a standard for success outside the traditional understanding of competitive sport. In other words victories and losses are not fought in the public arena of the icerink but behind the scenes in the boardrooms of the very rich and the games have become a reflection of those victories and losses. For how long people will pay to see the outcome of whether or not Wal-Mart had a good year (St. Louis I believe) or the twit in Buffalo or Pocklington or whoever is paying the freight in Long Island is debateable. With the return of some strength to the Canadian dollar we should be able to compete in this league unless the point continues to be victory by spending. And yes I know some of these teams are so stupid they can't even win by spending huge amounts of money but they can certainly keep about 20 other teams from winning by taking away their best players.