View Single Post
Old
06-16-2013, 07:25 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Going into the season with a glass Meszaros and a concussed Grossmann in our top 6would be a disastrous lapse in judgment. Coburn should not be moved.
I wouldn't exactly call Meszaros glass. He's been a rather sturdy defenseman for the Flyers. The problem was that he was rushed back too soon from his back surgery. The Achilles injury was a freak injury and the shoulder could have happened to anyone. The fact that he's 100% leaves me feeling significantly comfortable that he's going to be ok.

Grossmann is my concern. The fact he's still experiencing issues with the vestibular system from his concussion is significant. Worst case scenario is that he ends up with vertigo and he has to call it a career (a la Jeff Hackett). I'm not holding out hope that he's going to be ready.

As for Coburn, I think everyone knows where I stand on the guy. I don't think he's as important as it's being made out to be. Schenn does Coburn's job very well and is paid a million bucks less a year to do so. While I agree that the Flyers would need a defenseman to help replace Coburn's minutes, I think signing a guy like a Rob Scuderi fills Coburn's spot adequately well and at probably $1 million less.

As for Hartnell, they should have traded him after the 2010-2011 season. They waited too long on that. Too bad too because they probably could have received a great package for him, but after trading Richards and Carter, it's understandable why they kept him around. Now that his NMC is going to kick in (I really hate those clauses), he's pretty much going to remain in Philadelphia for the rest of his days.