View Single Post
Old
06-16-2013, 10:09 AM
phillytennis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
McCarron isn't a guy I was really looking at but given the recent posts and apparently the Habs interest in him I have been reading up more on him. The concerns seem to be his offensive upside. I read one draft analysis that had him pretty low and had him as a 3rd liner potential because of below average stick handling and playmaking ability. He was described as having a powerful wrister but he was too slow in unleashing it and so telegraphing it. The positives are his size, good skating for his size seems to be agreed upon from several sources as does his ability to hit and go to the tough areas of the ice. Decent defensive game and a good PK. We want upside and I guess the question is how that would happen. He has the size and the willingness to use it. We have seen how valuable guys are that have size , play physical and are willing to charge the net and also stand in front of it. In my view a guy like that doesn't really need to be a very good stickhanler or playmaker, not his piece of the puzzle. If he can play a simple game, is able to make a simple pass to an open guy, take a pass and can carry the puck a bit but unable to stickhandle through people that's okay. The other key piece is having a good shot from in close, because he wont score much if he is only able to bang away at pucks. So if TT thinks this kids shot issue can be resolved, and I know teaching skill reaaly cant be done at this point, though mechanics could be, then you do have upside , a guy who is huge, plays physically and bangs in 20 or so goals. A guy like that becomes more valuably at play-off time, like Bickell. We want somebody like Lucic, then I think this is the kind of guy you look at, though he doesn't seem to have that nasty level, yet anyway.
Yianik...excellent analysis on possibly taking McCarron...let some other team take him way too early...he's big, alright skater...average at best...slow reaction time.